- Advanced & Principled Strategy Designed to Secure Moral High Ground
- Understanding of Cases from Other Side’s Perspective Through Experience at Best of Best Employer-Side Firms
- Several High Profile Cases Litigated with National Media Coverage
- Tier 1 Education & Training
- Various Industry Accolades
Mehtani Law Offices is an employee-side labor and employment law firm founded by Aanand Mehtani, a skilled and experienced litigator as well as a renowned and creative strategist. There are tens of very talented employee-side attorneys in California. What sets us apart is that our strategy is focused on helping you maintain the moral high ground throughout the litigation process. This is not simply a question of doing the right thing, though that is important. How the other side perceives you as a person can affect the ultimate outcome just as much or more than how the other side evaluates your chances of victory.
You have been hurt by your employer already. We will not let anyone attack your dignity a second time. We invite you set up a time to meet Mr. Mehtani to discuss strategy for your case. We are confident that you will judge for yourself that his principled approach is unique and worthy of serious consideration.
We do not charge any fees upfront and your legal fee is a percentage of your ultimate recovery. If the case is unsuccessful, you just walk away without any fee.
Mr. Mehtani has over a decade of experience with various types of employment law matters, including but not limited to wrongful termination, employment disability rights, employment discrimination, whistleblower, and harassment suits as well as class action wage and hour cases. He has successfully resolved hundreds of such matters, routinely obtaining settlements and judgments for his clients in the six and seven figures. Mr. Mehtani also has been lead counsel on cases that resulted in published appellate opinions, and has experience petitioning the Supreme Court of California for relief on behalf of employees with respect to cutting edge legal issues. Mr. Mehtani has a perfect 10.0 rating on Avvo, a well-known attorney rating service that evaluates attorneys based experience and reputation in the legal community, among other things. Mr. Mehtani is also a member of the Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of California.
Mr. Mehtani has successfully represented all kinds of workers ranging from dedicated laborers who have been taken advantage of at under-the-radar sweatshops to top executives of America’s largest public companies who have been treated unfairly and unlawfully by their peers. Mr. Mehtani is not afraid to take on deep pockets with armies of corporate law firm lawyers. He cut his teeth in that corporate law firm world and is not at all intimidated by it. More importantly, he understands that each individual case comes down to the facts and law, and his job is to present his client’s narrative in a detailed, clear, and nuanced manner that commands the respect of the court and of the professionals on the other side, and generally brings about empathy for his client. Representative matters include the following:
- Representation of the President of a large global subsidiary of a publicly traded company in a wrongful termination case resulting in a settlement in the millions of dollars following private mediation;
- Representation of a class of all California workers at a publicly traded multinational corporation who were not being paid wages in accordance with California’s overtime and minimum wage laws, resulting in a seven-figure judgment and payment of back wages and penalties to hundreds of employees;
- Representation of a janitor at a large company whose employment was terminated because she missed work due to doctors’ appointments related to her chronic blood pressure and other health issues, resulting in a settlement of hundreds of thousands of dollars directly for the client and a lifelong annuity;
- Representation of workers at a large casino where smoking was permitted in certain indoor areas, resulting a court order by the Complex Division of the Superior Court enjoining smoking on the premises, mandating penalty payments to the workers, and also mandating certain improvements be made so that smoke from the smoking area outside does not reach workers; and
- Representation of a senior staffer in the West Hollywood city government who was sexually harassed by the former mayor resulting in a public settlement of half a million dollars, and vindication in the public in a case closely watched by local and national media.
Mr. Mehtani’s work has been noticed by the legal community as well as the national media. His cases (and successes) have been profiled in The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, the Hollywood Reporter, among many other publications and legal journals. Please visit our News and Press page for more information. Mr. Mehtani started his legal career at O’Melveny & Myers – a highly selective corporate litigation powerhouse headquartered in Los Angeles that has incubated some of America’s most successful lawyers, judges, business leaders, and politicians. After leaving O’Melveny, Mr. Mehtani went on to specialize in employment litigation at another large international powerhouse firm – the Washington D.C. based Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld. Akin Gump’s employment litigation practice is widely considered to be among the best in the United States. Before founding Mehtani Law Offices, Mr. Mehtani received valuable training at each of these large corporate firms for several years.
Mr. Mehtani is a frequent speaker at professional and community events, including at multiple events organized by the California Employment Lawyers Association, the preeminent California association comprised of employee-side employment attorneys.
Outside of the office, Mr. Mehtani enjoys spending time with family and friends, taking advantage of LA’s diverse restaurants, learning about the dynamic world around us through books, documentaries, podcasts and other media, and also hiking and walking in or around LA’s many beautiful natural landscapes.
- University of Southern California (USC), J.D., Hale Moot Court Honors Program
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., highest honors
HONORS & AWARDS
- A perfect 10.0 rating on Avvo, deemed “Superb”
- Super Lawyers® Rising Star, Southern California, 2015-2017 (Featured in Los Angeles Magazine)
- Listed in Los Angeles Magazine as one of a select group of distinguished employment lawyers in Southern California, 2019
- Selected by consumer guide Lawyers of Distinction to be promoted in the New York Times, 2019
- Profiled as an “Arbiter” in Los Angeles Confidential Magazine
LEGAL MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Member, Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of California
- Member, California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA)
- Member, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Pasadena Bar Association
RECENT SEMINARS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- "Practice (Management) Makes Perfect - Put Your Practice Where Your Mouth Is", California Employment Lawyers Association, Los Angeles, California
- "Experiences from the Defense Side”, California Employment Lawyers Association, Annual Statewide Employment Law Conference, Oakland, California
- All Courts of the State of California, including the California Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit