Employment Attorneys in Burbank, CA
If you work an eight-hour shift, you spend most of your day at your workplace. For this reason, the law mandates your employer to ensure the best conditions where you work. If you suspect your employer willingly ignores your labor rights and subjects you to injustices around discrimination, wage and hour, wrongful termination, or sexual harassment, you should schedule a consultation with an experienced Burbank attorney for legal representation to ensure you get compensation. If you are in need of an attorney, contact Mehtani Law Offices for the best results.
Employment Cases We Can Help With
Among the employment cases that our attorneys will focus on include the following:
Discrimination occurs when you receive less favorable treatment due to age, disability, pregnancy, and race, among other traits. Given the much time you spend at our workplaces, working in a toxic environment characterized by discrimination will affect your quality of life. You may experience emotional trauma, stress-related problems, or even lose your wages. Common California discrimination cases include:
- Failure to hire or promote workers because of their trait
- Demoting or firing workers due to their characteristics or membership in a certain group
- Implementing a company policy that affects workers of a protected characteristic
- Denying accommodation of disabled employees
- Permitting workplace harassment without action
What Protected Characteristics Do the Burbank Attorneys Handle?
Here are the different forms of discrimination handled by our attorneys.
Age: Age discrimination can happen in different ways. It most often manifests in older workers being passed up for promotions or pushed out of the workforce due to being over the age of 40.
Disability: Disability discrimination includes your employer’s failure to accommodate your disability by making some workplace adjustments. It may also involve being refused employment opportunities due to your disability status.
Race: Racial discrimination entails unfavorable treatment because of a person’s race or perceived racial traits, including hair texture, facial features, or skin color. Racial discrimination can affect your hiring, training, job assignments, pay, benefits, termination, promotions, and bonuses. Our Burbank attorneys will investigate your case to ensure you get the compensation you are entitled to, including:
- Recovery of lost benefits and income
- Pain and suffering damages
- Legal fees
- Reinstatement of your position
- Punitive damages
Pregnancy: While expecting a baby is an exciting time in a person’s life, it can also wreak havoc on a person’s career due to unlawful discrimination. Examples of discrimination due to pregnancy include:
- Refusal to hire a person due to pregnancy or possibility of future pregnancy
- Firing a person due to pregnancy-related complications
- Demotion due to disabling pregnancy conditions
- Denial of time off due to health issues like morning sickness
- Denial of reasonable workplace accommodation for a disabling pregnancy condition
If you experience unfair treatment due to your pregnancy, start recording these incidents and the questionable conduct of your employer. Afterward, you can contact our experienced Burbank attorneys to explore your options. If we establish that you have a legal cause, we will help you prepare an appropriate complaint and fill it within the stipulated timelines. Our Beverly Hills employment law attorneys will help you determine the following:
- If your complaints constitute pregnancy discrimination
- If you are entitled to reasonable accommodation and whether your employer denied you
- If your employer is legally responsible for the discrimination at your workplace
Wage and Hour Disputes
Disputes relating to wage and hour contribute to work-related stress and add to your financial difficulties. Our experienced Burbank attorney will help you handle wage and hour cases, including:
- Withheld compensation or earnings
- Pressure to work through meal times and other breaks
- Pressure to work overtime without compensation
- Misclassification of employee status resulting in inadequate compensation
- Withheld pay for sick off, vacation, or additional leave
- Wrongful termination to avoid paying employee earnings or compensation
If you are experiencing wage and hour issues, contact our experienced Burbank attorney to help you know if you have a legal case. We will also help you understand your legal options to make your decision confidently.
Job loss is never easy and is even worse when your termination is wrongful. Despite California being an at-will employment state, you still have a legal right to pursue a lawsuit if your employer illegally fires you. This is given that the law prohibits your employer from firing you based on the following:
- Sexual orientation
If you believe yours was wrongful termination, you can liaise with experienced Burbank attorneys, and file your lawsuit. Usually, we advise you to note the incidents leading to wrongful termination. These include retaliation or discrimination against you. Some of the valuable evidence you can keep include:
- Negative performance reviews
- Disciplinary notices
- Written statements by witnesses
- Relevant communication between you and your employer
Taking note of the above actions by your supervisors or employers is an excellent way to start your case. You can also reach out to your human resources department, and if they fail to act, you can contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to file your complaint. If your issue is unresolved within 30 days, you can file a formal claim for wrongful termination with an EEOC office. An experienced Burbank attorney by your side will guide you on these processes to ensure you get the best compensation.
Sexual harassment causes emotional and physical pain depending on the extent of the abuse. Our Burbank attorneys will examine your case to help you recover from the emotional, physical, and financial damages you have suffered. Sexual harassment can take the following forms:
- Threats relating to unwanted sexual activity
- Demand for sexual favors in exchange for employment
- Offensive remarks on your sexual orientation
- Attempted sexual assault
- Actual sexual assault
- Sexual ridicule
The above sexual advances will become illegal if compliance to the demand is the condition for your employment, the frequency of the threats creates a hostile work environment, and the severity of the abuse creates an intimidating work atmosphere.
If you report a problem in your workplace, such as discriminatory practices or other illegal issues, your employer should not terminate, reduce your pay or demote you. Such action by your employer will be whistleblower retaliation. If you feel your employer did this to you, liaise with an experienced Burbank attorney to discuss your options. Common whistleblower retaliation include:
- False negative performance reviews
- Wrongful termination
- Sabotage of work
- Denial of promotion
- Sexual harassment
Get Help From Burbank Employment Attorneys
In the course of employment, you will likely encounter one of the above employment law violations. Such violations can cause high emotions and great financial losses, so contacting an experienced Burbank lawyer for advice is necessary. Call Mehtani Law Offices today to schedule your appointment.